CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 1, 2011

How I stay strong

It's been a long time since my last blog entry but it's been a whirlwind the last few months between getting adjusted to Ryan's being gone, the new job, multiple roommate transitions, revamping a program, serving the unit, buying and renovating a home, Sammy having health issues, etc. So here goes what God placed on my heart to write last night:


It’s no secret that I feel like one of the most blessed people in the world to get to work with the kids I work with. I love picking them up from school and hearing how their days were. I love knowing that spending time at the coffee house will make all our days better no matter what happened before or will happen after (Sammy included).


Today the kids had a pretty intense and amusing nerf war. They moved furniture, made teams, created rules (more like I created rules), and one of the kids showed up looking like Rambo with tons of nerf guns from home on top of what we already have in the coffee house. Sammy was right in the middle of it all (he was off limits though) and the kids would take breaks to love on him as usual. Towards the end, one of the kids led everyone in putting the place back together, which I love. Another kid was going through some stuff so those that were left prayed for them as they went home to face whatever life was going to bring their way because that’s what its all about.


Afterwards as I was heading home and reflecting on how good the afternoon had been (I even got some e-mails taken care of in the middle of it all) I saw what looked like an indentation/tearing in Sammy’s eye. My heart sank as I tried to figure out what could have happened and I was picturing how careful they all were to protect him during the nerf war and trying to figure out what he possibly could have gotten in to. I called the vet and they agreed to let me bring him in even though it was almost time to close, thank God I work/live so close to our vet. They took him back and what felt like ions later the vet came out telling me not to do this to her again. She thought it was a tear too….until she put some iodine on it to see it better and it wiped away.


We don’t know what it was and they want me to give him drops for a few days since it irritated his eye (they called it an ulcer) but he’s okay. I was able to stay calm because my cup had been filled by the quality time with my kids, by watching them have more joy and grow because of our time together. I had many thoughts try to race through my head before I knew it would be okay and I was able to put them aside because I need to be strong for these kids and I do not take that calling lightly. I have to keep myself in check so good days like today can continue to happen and crossover into other things we do together and as individuals to make it through life as we grow closer to God.


I knew I could handle whatever the outcome because it is not by my strength alone but by God’s power, wisdom, and mercy that I can endure all things. God does not give us more than we can handle and we do not deserve how good we have it on our worst days. It’s hard to remember that sometimes, but God is good all the time. I just felt like I needed to share some perspective in case any of my friends are going through something today too. I cannot imagine going through life without praising God for the good and looking to His strength in the more challenging times. I don’t know what tomorrow will bring but there’s no need to worry about that today. Also, if you do not have something that brings you this kind of joy and purpose, please pray that God would guide you to it...the youth could always use some extra adults to love on them if you want to start there:)

No comments:

Post a Comment