CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Graduation Blessings

Between finishing up school and my internship, saying goodbye to Ryan as he headed to training, preparing for my trip to Spain, taking it all in on my amazing getaway with my best friend from high school, and then returning to volunteer/work fun, there hasn't been much time for posting lately, but I want to remember how special my graduation was so I am just going to skip past all that for now.

I was actually dreading my graduation festivities. I ended up skipping my VCU graduation because I was tired from trip and knew it would be emotional going without my family since Ryan was in training already and my parents were on a cruise with my Grandma (which they loved and I am so happy for them). I had friends offer to go with me and I knew I would have friends there but I think half the battle for an Army wife is figuring out where your limits are and I knew that would be too much too soon for me. But, my parents were back in town for my BTSR graduation and I knew it was supposed to be special, but was I ever surprised by how much so!

I got into town and was able to pick up my VCU diploma quickly and easily which was a welcome surprise. I got settled into our beautiful hotel room and headed over to graduation rehearsal. I saw my good friend and former neighbor Donna right away and everything else that is going on in the world just fell away being in the presence of one of the strongest most amazing people I know.
It was sooo nice to see some of my other friends from seminary and surprisingly fun. My parents got into town in time for the dinner and it was so beautiful. Next to the actual diploma, the highlight of graduating from seminary is receiving the servant's towel. This year they made the towel ceremony extra special by reading a paragraph the President wrote after receiving affirmations about the individual from faculty, staff, and other students. This is what he wrote for me:

"You are a strong, bold, go-getter disciple. Your profound sense of call is evident, as is your deep and abiding love for your family--and for God. You are an encourager and helper. This towel is a reminder of Jesus' attention to the simplest kindnesses of life. As you know, we are the hands and feet of the Savior. His ministry of goodness, kindness, and salvation lives through us. It lives through your ministry. Serve with gladness."

I cried when he shared the family part. I was missing Ryan and remembering all the times I drove up to help with Pop during my last year of seminary. I was also remembering the joy of my Tate Mondays my first year of seminary and will always treasure that precious time with him.

After the dinner we headed to pick Sammy up from his sweet dog sitter, a former youth, and then back to the hotel. It was Sammy's first time in the hotel so he was a little restless but otherwise we had fun reliving old times of the three of us in not quite as nice accommodations:)

Graduation was beautiful Saturday. It was wonderful to celebrate with old friends who showed up to support us and to really feel blessed by the community and staff who put together a truly moving ceremony. It was so nice to walk with two of my closest friends from seminary and to walk through and thank the faculty at the end.

After graduation I went to take a picture with one of my favorite professors from seminary and she gave me the biggest hug. She had just heard about Ryan's deployment and she was so sweet about it. I learned a lot about Christian tradition through her classes, but I learned more about loving my husband through the way she loved hers. He was very sick and she cared for him in such a graceful way during my time at seminary. Then she gave the most loving testimony about him and their time together in one of the most amazing memorial services I have ever been to. She loved him with everything she had and she cared for him in such a selfless way until the very end. Love bears all things. I am so grateful she shared this journey because it helped Ryan and I to learn not to take each other for granted and it gives me hope that we can weather whatever may come.
There is so much more to share but I am headed to mom and dad's to work on some projects for the unit's send off. I hope that you are all having a wonderful Memorial Day. God Bless our troops and all those who have served.

No comments:

Post a Comment