CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Welcome

I enjoyed blogging when it was part of my job as the Assistant Pastor at Saint James, but I dropped it when life got a little crazy. So here is to a fresh start and to recounting the many wonderful memories that we make every day. I hope to be fairly regular about posting and that you enjoy hearing about our many adventures.

If you are wondering why we picked the address that we did, its because my husband is in the Army and one of the Army's slogans is Army Strong. We have called ourselves Team Deem for a while as a reminder that we are stronger together and its only fitting that we add a little Army to the mix since it plays a pretty big role in our lives.

We are off to church soon but here is our Christmas card/letter from this year in case you didn't get one in the mail:



December 1, 2009

Dear Family and Friends,

This year has been another interesting one for us. For highlights from this past year you can check out our picture website: photos.teamdeem.org. The year started with Ryan’s commissioning ceremonies, where after 6 years in the Army, Ryan entered the officer corps as a 2nd Lieutenant. This spring was full of celebrations and good times. We visited a friend in LA and we were thrilled to have the youthgroup from Richmond come up for a mission trip in DC (the third annual). We were overjoyed at the birth of our second nephew in April, and that Ryan was able to be meet baby Carter before heading out to his 5 month long training two days later.

I was very fortunate to be hired on as a Youth Employment Counselor for the City of Alexandria for the summer and I loved every minute of serving the youth and working with an incredible team. Aside from the job, this summer presented a series of challenges while Ryan was away, but God provided through an unexpected move due to apartment flooding, my injury, dog surgery, and another move while I was still recovering from my injury. I don’t think I realized how strong I was going into this summer, but I think I have a better idea now. Shortly after we moved in to the new place in September, Ryan came home and Samson and I could not be happier. We spent the Fall packing in good times with family and friends and each other and we feel like we have continued to live by our rule of not taking a single day for granted.

I am finally in my last year of school! It has been quite the journey having officially been in grad school longer than college. In addition to my four classes, I spend three days a week serving as a School Social Work intern at Edison High School and leading a few groups at Mt. Vernon Woods Elementary School. I love it and it will be hard to leave in May, but I am confident God has a plan for a job for me after graduation. You can expect a big hooplah in May when I finally get both my Master of Social Work and Master of Divinity degrees.

Ryan is happy to be back home, having graduated with honors from training. He still loves his job as an Engineer for the Army Evaluation Center and is part of a wonderful team—not only are they all brilliant and hard working, but they have so much fun together. Ryan is also enjoying the new leadership aspect of his role in his unit. His unit is preparing for a deployment this coming spring and he will be responsible for 45 soldiers from the support platoon while gone for approximately fourteen months. We know that this will be a challenge, but we have been preparing for this for many years and we know that we are very blessed to have been given so much time before it actually happened. Your prayers are greatly appreciated until they all come home.

Here is to praying that this letter finds all of you well. Here is to praying for hope in a new year. Here is to praying that we all remember the reason for the season—that God loved us so much that He sent his only son to live among us and eventually give his life for us. May our lives be a reflection of that love now and always.

Love,

Ryan, Erika, and Samson Deem

No comments:

Post a Comment