CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Lots going on these days

I am finally feeling like a real person again. This past week may have started out wonderful with my parents anniversary brunch and a nice FRG meeting and been tough in the middle with being sick, but it ended beautifully. On Thursday my students were wonderful. I was out Wednesday and the kids I missed came running when they saw me and I was able to make some time to check in with them so that was really nice. I still can't get over how much these children adore the adults in their lives and how even the difficult ones have ways of showing they care. One student even asked if I needed to turn half of the lights out like last week when my migraine was so bad, how thoughtful is that?

Then Thursday afternoon we had our intern meeting with the lady in charge of social workers at Fairfax County Public Schools. It so nice to share with her what an incredible experience this year, and particularly my two social skills groups, have been. I think she was really surprised to hear the issues we have been able to address in this group and to learn about the partnership that has developed between the teachers, administration, and I. I am hopeful that she may encourage other social workers to set up such groups for their interns in the future. I think that would just be wonderful for the students.

Friday, Sammy and I got to pick up the love of our lives at the airport and it was so nice to talk in person on the way back even though army stuff took over the rest of the night as he headed right into a three day drill. Friday night I got to head over to meet my cousins new baby after Ry headed in to bed. Claire is so beautiful and so attentive. After she went to bed my cousin Colleen and I were able to have some quiet time to catch up. I am so in awe of the fact that she delivered her naturally and it was great to finally get to hear all of the details. Not sure what I'll decide when it comes time for my lil ones.

Saturday I spent the majority of the day at Ryan's unit. The Family Readiness Group (FRG) is in full swing now. After some fundraising at the unit, the steering committee and I got prepared for our first big meeting with other family members. I am so pleased with the turn out of 30-40 family members and we really pulled it together with a great meeting. Of course I asked that we start out with a game and I found this great game called "Common Ground." Everyone was split up into groups of 5-6 and challenged them to come up with the longest list of things the group members have in common. My group had the most at 27 (in 5 minutes) and it was really fun learning what we did and did not have in common. As time started to run out we got desperate and came up with really random ones like "Everyone can name a constellation."

Then I got to share a presentation about the emotional cycles of a deployment. I am so thankful God guided me in selecting what pieces to share. There is so much information out there and I felt called to validate their feelings and emotions by sharing what they might experience at each stage of the deployment process. I was really happy with some of the suggestions I found to make the next year or so of our lives run more smoothly. I may share more of that in a later post.

After the FRG meeting I headed to pick up the boys and Samson to head to my parents where my cousins and aunts and the rest of the Girl Scout crew would be hanging out for the night. I was so excited to see Claire while she was more awake and to get to hold her for a bit. Tate and Carter have never been over to my parents before but they were so cute and had the place trashed in no time with the toys I brought for them. I just love how Carter is in love with Sammy and how Sammy puts up with just about anything Carter does to him. Tate was a total ham and really got into the toys. The joy on both of their faces when Ryan walked in was priceless. I don't think either of them have ever seen him in his uniform and I was surprised that they didn't seem to mind it. It was so sad when bedtime came and I had to take them home but I loved that in all of this craziness I could make the time for them and it was fun passing them back in forth between Oma and I while their parents were at the wedding of the person who did my hair for our wedding.

I'm writing this as I am on the job for my first real assignment with that part time job I got back in February. The father is a sweet young Dad and the baby is an adorable almost two year old. She is kind of sick today but enjoying the time with him. I'm not sure why the mom won't let him have at least partial custody or why his visits have to be supervised but so far he has been nothing but attentive and so aware of her needs. It's so sweet to see a Dad who cares so much when some Dads might just walk away in this situation.

Later today I plan on heading over to see Sammy at Grammy's house for a few (Taylor was so excited when we decided to leave him there last night since it was late anyway and we were both headed to work early this morning). His May babysitter is planning on coming over to hang out with him for a few and hopefully I won't be too nerdy about him. Then its off to what is hopefully my last weekend group meeting. I love my research group but I love time with my love even more and he is actually home the next two weekends before he gets mobilized. Here is to hoping we can be super productive and that I can come home and make fast progress on my last paper for my practice class. It's due tomorrow and it was supposed to be my primary focus this past week but you know the best laid plans go out the window when you get sick.

Here is to this week being one filled with health, productivity, and a little fun family time in the mix:) I have my final dual-degree class in Richmond on Tuesday and will be learning how to teach the parenting class at ACS on Thursday night. It doesn't look like my small group will be starting up this week (it was canceled last week because the Youth Minister never had time to let the girls know or give me their numbers). I was kind of bummed but I know God has a plan and if nothing else it is teaching me to be more patient and to accept the fact that I gave up control of working with youth when I left my youth minister position. I know its a demanding job and trust that in time I will be able get in a groove with this youth pastor and at least I know the small group is going to happen soon.

I am hoping we can steal away another day on the boat Saturday and I am kind of bummed my supervisor needed me to work on Sunday but Ry wants to get what he needs to done on the truck anyway so that will be a good time for him to do that without me bugging him:) I think he is really excited about getting it ready to sell so he can get his nice new car when he gets back from "the sandbox."

Things are going so well with this visit I guess I will start working on my paper. I hope that you all are having a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment