CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 22, 2010

The kids I work with

For obvious reasons, I can't post a picture of the students I work with, but if I described them and their behavior to you, you probably wouldn't believe me. In about two hours I will be wrapping up my autism group at the high school I have been interning at and then I will be ramping up my efforts to reach out to kids whose attendance has been really bad. I found out yesterday that one of them was raped recently and that she is refusing to talk about it and has not received any care since. No wonder she is having difficulty with her attendance, yet it is such an important part of her learning English and building a good life for herself.

Yesterday at the elementary school I intern at, I found myself praying through one of the worst groups I have had yet with some of my kids. I don't know how the teachers manage with some of the kids I have because I only have them 45 minutes once a week but they have them everyday. I thank God for giving teachers the talent to work with such students even when they show no sign of improvement and test you in every way. I should mention that this elementary school is in one of the worst parts of Rt 1, an area known to be plagued by poverty, substance use, and abuse of all kinds among other challenges. 85% of the kids are on the free and reduced lunches program and we suspect that number would be higher if the illegal immigrants knew it was safe to apply. We are so blessed and working with them and seeing the struggles they have has given me a better understanding of the greater challenges to the war on poverty in this nation. These kids are seen as not having a chance from the start and many of their parents simply do not have the parenting skills needed to teach them basic personal and social skills that will help them rise out of their situation. This task is left to the teachers and staff and boy, these kids don't make it easy. Yet even when they are difficult beyond measure, you can't help but fall in love with them.

In any case, here is to praying I can do what I need to do to meet the needs of the students today and here is to praising God that it is Friday. I am so excited about the weekend! Ry's best friend in the units girlfriend (did you follow that?) is coming over for a puppy playdate tomorrow and then we'll all get ready for the holiday party together. Turns out Ry will not be serving as Mr. Vice since the person who asked him to do it wasn't supposed to pass that task along so here is to praying all goes well for that Lt tomorrow night and that it still entertaining for us. At least Ry will be able to sit with me now. Then on Sunday after church, my friend Laura is coming over to start working on her wedding invitations. It will be a nice weekend of fun before school starts up again on Monday (at least it is my last semester).

No comments:

Post a Comment