CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 18, 2010

Praying for Haiti

My father went to Haiti with the 10th Mountain Division for several months when I was 10. I probably spent most of the 4th grade wearing Operation Uphold Democracy shirts. He came back passionate about helping the people of Haiti and telling the family that we had to go there to help the people one day. Fifteen years later we haven't made that trip yet, but I feel like one may be coming up. It's too soon after the Earthquake right now and I know that those who have been able to get there to help have a difficult situation on their hand, but Lord knows I am praying for them now and patiently waiting for my opportunity to go serve.

Our church took up a collection on Sunday to go to the United Methodist Committee on Relief which is on the ground in Haiti. I never knew how active the committee was until Pastor John shared about it and we learned that they are either immediately behind the Red Cross in 95% of disasters or immediately in front of them on the ground. Once again, although I still have issues with the concept of denominations, I am pleased we have found a place that is so connected to missions.

I was really proud of my husband who immediately pulled out all the cash in his wallet that he had just gotten for his birthday to give to this special offering. I had already written the check for our offering but we hope to give more in the coming weeks as well. I am really happy to know 100% of our offering will go to the work in Haiti and praying that others will take the opportunity to give to the multitude of organizations on the ground.

What happened in Haiti this week is a reminder that life is precious and tomorrow is not promised. Here is to praying for healing among the people of Haiti and to rebuilding a better future. Nothing can erase what they have been through, but we can each play a part in showing our love and support for our brothers and sisters of this impoverished nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment