CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday and reflections on life

Since our weekends always seem to get full with other stuff, my mom, Diana and I decided to have a girls night last night. It was so nice to catch up over a bowl of soup for dinner and to go shopping at Home Goods together. We kept losing each other in the store because they have so many cool things to look at. I love going there and I managed to walk away without buying anything so that was nice too.

We went to see Dear John after that. The movie had made my little cousin mad and I realize why now. The girl makes some interesting choices and I try not to judge, but it is hard to rationalize them. It is a reminder that we don’t know what other people go through and why they make the decisions they do and sometimes what looks selfish is the most unselfish thing and vice versa.

The movie sent some strong messages about the military. It showed how hard it is to have them go, what it is like being away from each other, and the challenges of the soldier choosing service over their loved ones. I hope that people who go to it will think about what the soldiers and their families have been through since this country has been at war for almost a decade now.

Diana was worried about my seeing a movie in which we all suspected the main character, a soldier, would die. The truth is every soldier’s loved one knows that could happen and they also know their loved could come back a completely different person physically and mentally. It is something you can’t let yourself think about but for me, I had to accept that God would give me the strength come what may and push those thoughts from my head and heart.

Today is Ash Wednesday and Ryan and I are looking forward to going to church tonight to see how they commemorate it. I have never given anything up for Lent. I don’t see the point because I don’t believe God wants us to suffer for our sins but rather desires for us to reach out in love and service to others. I know others may feel differently and that this may be a significant part of their journey. As for me, I plan on continuing to stop eating after 7 and to think about what I am eating and whether it is good fuel or not. Taking care of the temple of a body God gave me is the best gift I think I have to give right now. In addition, I hope to get the small group started before Easter and to finally adopt a child through Compassion International. We became regular donors to the ASPCA on Sunday after feeling like we could not see another sad commercial without doing something. We love Sammy so much and wish we could take other animals in but one is plenty for us and at least this way we know we are helping animals get ready to be adopted. Animals are God's creation too and Ryan and I feel so blessed to be in a place where we can give back to two organizations that do so much good.

Last night Ryan and I started doing devotions together again. It’s been too long. He had his Bible on the dresser when we woke up yesterday and said this was something God put on his heart to do. That meant so much to me and we read three chapters out loud to each other last night. I asked him if we could record these times so I could hear him reading the Bible to me while he is gone and he said he would do some separate sessions so I could hear different parts of it. I am fully capable of reading the Bible myself but I think getting to hear his voice while he is gone will be so meaningful.

Last thing, my cousin had her baby girl yesterday. She was 8lbs 14oz and my cousin had her naturally after 17 hours of labor. I am so proud of her and I look forward to hearing what she thought of natural labor after she is rested and recoved from it. Hopefully she will get to hold and bond with sweet baby Claire today since there were some complications yesterday and here is to praying they both come home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment