CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 26, 2010

God's cares about how we make/spend our money

So I definitely need to push myself to start applying for jobs but I think it just feels so surreal that this long journey of being in school is coming to a close. Plus, I have been shown so much lately that God is looking out for me and providing what I need to feel confident that He has not forgotten us. When the primary (pretty much only) family that I babysat for moved to Korea this January I was so sad to see them go because for one thing, I really cared about them and enjoyed seeing them on a regular basis, and for another, they paid really well and it hardly felt like work. I put feelers out for more babysitting jobs but in this economy, people just didn't seem to be going out and certainly don't seem to be interested in paying for it. I was amazed when the day the Barker's left, I got an e-mail from a lady saying that Pattie recommended me and she and her husband were in need of a regular sitter. Then I was pleased when that turned into one card making job for her twins birthday and now I just got a call that she wants more for a different party...woohoo. Then today I got an e-mail from her regular nanny saying her friend needed a last minute sitter and he was willing to pay extra so fortunately I was free tomorrow and here's to hoping his kids are good, but at what he is paying it doesn't matter. All that and guess how I am spending my Friday night?! Filling out paperwork for the new job. Yeah, I'm cool. So, maybe not, but with all of these extra jobs I haven't had time this week and would love to turn it all in Tuesday so I can get started with a "real" part time job in addition to babysitting and card making.

All this is to say that God is good and I think He's pretty much on board with our commitment to paying off all of our debt this year. I am also feeling very hopeful that He has a job lined up for me in His perfect timing. I have a few leads thanks to family friends like working at Hospice, as an advocated for Wounded Warriors, or possibly joining mom's team at the community service board. In this economy having family and friends in places that are hiring in areas that fit my skills is so nice!

I just thought I would share that in a world where all the news talks about is people losing jobs, there is hope. I left my job as an Assistant Pastor at the end of August 2008 because I realized it was just going to be too much with school and my internship and I wanted to actually see my family. It was perfect timing for the church because the budget was getting really hard to meet and my leaving freed up some room for other great programs at the church to continue. It was probably the scariest decision in my life and yet I would make it again in a heart beat. The truth is between my summer and side jobs I probably have made at least half of what I would have killing myself at the church the 21 months it will have taken to finish up my dual degrees. God has been so faithful to us in providing ways to save money and managing surprises that have come up along the way. We are so fortunate to have been able to continue giving to others during this time too since it is such a big part of who we are.

I am not writing this post to brag or rub it in, but to encourage you that no matter what your financial situation, God wants to be involved and a part of your budget. Whether you need to curb your spending, start saving, pay off debt, look for another job, or start giving more, He's interested. If you have a job and don't feel fulfilled by it or if you don't and are tired of looking, He's interested. I hope you will join him in giving thanks for whatever you have and in being responsible with that which comes from his blessings and bounty.

Here is one possibility for the next card order from the twins mom:

No comments:

Post a Comment