CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 5, 2010

Shopping for Ry's deployment

Since we are getting close to the big D, I started doing some research on what other soldiers recommend taking with to stay entertained, in shape, and prepared. So far I have added about $1100 worth of stuff to our wish list and it seems like a lot but he will be gone over a year and won't exactly have all of the conveniences of home. So far the list includes:
  • TRX Force Kit
  • Netbook with an external DVD drive and case (rather buy that than worry about his nice laptop getting lost or ruined and it has a webcam and wireless capability)
  • A digital voice recorder for him to send home with stories so I can hear his voice (I already got one for my research project interviews that I plan on having people talk on so he can hear all of his loved ones voices and the nephews playing, etc.)
  • A camera with video recording capability. We have a spare but it's a little worn out and I want it to be good enough to capture all the experiences he will have over there but not so expensive that it won't matter if it gets completely banged up and gross. Here is what I am thinking right now, Canon Powershot SD1200IS.
  • A football and frisbee
  • An ab wheel
  • Paperback books and DVDs to take with him
We have travel games to send with him and of course he will be taking his PSP and has an excuse to buy some more games for it. He may end up being completely busy all of the time, but its better to have things to do than go crazy with boredom. He's been out shoveling forever and apparently has done half of our neighborhood so we'll see what he has to say when he comes back in. If anyone else has any ideas of what he should or shouldn't take let me know. I'm sure the list will be refined a few times and we'll buy some stuff for him to get used to now (like the netbook and TRX Force Kit) while other things can wait, but I thought I would share since I never really thought about all of the extra stuff soldiers should think about taking with them. It's a good thing Uncle Sam took care of us with their new benefits for those paying for higher education:)

No comments:

Post a Comment